Surround Yourself with Greatness

Lately I've been thinking a lot about a book I read in High School, "Surround Yourself with Greatness." It talks about the importance of the people, music, books, and any other media or influences around us. It points out how those influences have an impact on us, makes sense since they are called influences. Basically, the point was about surrounding ourselves with things and people that are not only good, but great! 

You know how sometimes in life you just feel bleh or tired or unmotivated? In the last month or so I've tried to notice when I feel this way and do something to pick myself up. Specifically, I've been trying to turn to the scriptures, the Ensign, or General Conference talks. It's amazing how such an easy and small thing can be such a force for good! Even if what I read doesn't feel very specific to me, I've found that it really invites the spirit to be with me more fully and I feel like my energy and my capacity and power increases. 

Don't get me wrong, I still have my moments when I throw myself a pity party and eat ice cream and watch tv rather than putting some work into turning things around. But I like how I feel when I do put in that work, when I make the effort to surround myself with Greatness. 

This weekend General Conference was the perfect example of surrounding ourselves with Greatness. I was so grateful for the opportunity to sit and listen to the voice of prophets and apostles. I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is exactly that. This is Christ's church and it is led by Him. I'm thankful for the guidance and counsel He gives us through His chosen and ordained servants. I learned so much and I'm excited to challenge myself to surround myself with more of this Greatness as I study these talks more deeply throughout the year. I'd love to hear about some of the great things in your life! What are some of your favorite books or talks?

Comments